Wednesday, November 21, 2007

How "UnKorean" I Am


A view of a Seoul subway. I'm in the foreground.
How "UnKorean" I Am:
1. Sitting on the floor: It's so hard for me to sit cross-legged on the floor plus my rear end and legs start to hurt before long. Since most Korean restaurants are like this, I try to stretch my legs out under the table if possible.
2. Chopsticks: Korean chopsticks are metal and much harder to master than wooden. I'm still a fork girl.
3. Cutting in line: This makes me crazy and I will cut back if it is done to me.
4. Rice: I love rice but not three times a day.
5. Never leave home with being dressed to the hilt: Yes, I always go out wearing jeans not dress pants and sometimes I don't even bother to put on my makeup. I comb my hair, though and even curl it sometimes. I am knowingly committing a huge faux pas here in Korea.
6. Always wear high heels in public: With the amount of walking one does in Korea, it's insane to me to wear anything other than comfortable shoes. My Korean girlfriends say all Korean women want to be taller. Not me.
7. Side dishes: With Korean meals, expect to be served 6-8 or more side dishes. It's just too much food and you waste so much.
8. Slurping while eating: I just can't. My Korean girlfriends say I'm so quiet when I eat.
9. Driving in Korea: I've never driven in Korea and never will. From getting cut off to being honked at because you are supposedly in someone's way are just two of the many reasons I hung up my car keys.
10. Personal questions: I just can't ask someone how old they are and how much do they weigh. Some things are just too ingrained into me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Becky, have I told you lately how much I love reading your blog? Your last two posts on how Korean, and not, you have become was wonderful. I'm really impressed at how well you have acclimated, and so quickly! You are special.
Ronalyn Hurley

Helena said...

Ahhh. I've sometimes wondered if restaurants really throw out the rest of the side-dish that you don't eat, or if there might be some recycling going on. There are some that I really like (bean sprouts, spinach, cucumber kimchi) and some that I don't touch at all.

I had a couple of kids in Korea ask me if I was a *boy*. I thought that was a little weird, but I wasn't wearing any makeup, and I did wear my hiking boots a lot, so I imagine that kind of threw them.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Becky, Happy Thanksgiving Girlfriend! Hugs to you and Curt! You are loved and missed! H

Blog Archive

Clustrmap