Wednesday, May 13, 2009
I've been back in the States for a month and a half and there are so many things I miss:
1. The food: from kimchi to buddae jjigae, the food of Korea is incredible!
2. The television dramas: I am totally hooked and look forward to what comes in the future. Thank goodness for http://www.dramabeans.com/ where I can go and watch with subtitles.
3. The crafts: I learned maedeup (Korean knotting) and chilbo (Korean enameling) and will continue to improve my skills.
4. The people: So many opened their hearts to us and I will forever remember their kindness.
5. The traffic: no this isn't a joke! I will NEVER complain about traffic here in the States again.
6. Ajummas: The older Korean women who are headstrong, sassy, and a thing to behold. I brought back a little ajumma in me so watch out world!
7. Coffee: It always followed dinner with our Korean friends and was a time to share.
8. Noribang: Which usually followed coffee where you could get a room and sing your lungs out to your favorite songs.
9. Korean newscasters: They always bow at the end of the broadcast and I miss it.
10. Korean food on television: You could always turn to a channel and see a reporter checking out a small restaurant showing how the food is prepared. I could watch it for hours.
11. Bowing: I still catch myself doing it. I may never stop.
12. Public transportation: From the bus to the subway. It's convenient and cheap. Now, I have to drive everywhere I want to go.
13. Korean yoga: I thought it would kill me but I survived and continue with my exercises here. I still don't think I will every be as good as my 70 year old plus classmates.
14. Korean palaces and gates (forts): We don't have anything that old here in the U.S. and it was all around me.
15. Kim Bum Soo: My favorite SINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My adventures in crafting will continue on my new blog: http://www.theconstantcrafter.blogspot.com/
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Our Korean friends gave us some wonderful gifts to remember our time in Korea. I wanted to bring back a Korean tea set before we left Korea and never had taken the time to get one. We were so lucky to be given this tea set by one of my husband's co-workers.
This was from another of my husband's co-workers. The ducks are for good luck.
Saturday, May 2, 2009
The Korean wedding and 1st birthday pictures rival any professional model shoot here in the States I've seen. They are taken by a professional photographer and it puts my wedding pictures and any that I've had taken of my children professionally to shame.
I was at one of my Korean friend's home and the shade was pulled. The shade was a black and white picture of her little girl. It was the cutest thing I had ever seen!
I have a big family reunion coming up in June. My parents, sisters and their families and hopefully my kids too. We have booked a photographer and it's not a conventional everyone sit together and smile. Oh, they can do that, but they are known for their unusual posing. We'll see if my family is up to it.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Shorty before we left Korea I videotaped our apartment mostly for myself to remember when the memories start to fade. I'm really glad that I did it and it gives you glimpse into our life in Korea. We had a wonderful apartment and being the only foreigners everyone knew us.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
I found another sticker. We did finally tell him about it.
It was noisy in the apartment and I walked by the bathroom and found Jeff talking on his cellphone to my bathtub.
Me and Curt. Everything is gone.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
I couldn't believe all the food and how much work it took. She wouldn't let me help so I played with Yeo Jong.
Monday, April 6, 2009
This is Grace, one of the yoga instructors. She speaks English very well and also gives a great massage.
- Ajou University Hospital
- Becky's Books
- Blood Type
- Dongdaemun Market
- Dr. Fish Cafe
- Ewha Woman's University
- Fan Death
- Flying Business Class
- Fortune Teller
- Hannam Supermarket
- Hongdae (Hongnik University)
- Hwaseong Fortress
- Icheon Ceramic Village
- Incheon Airport
- Jeju Island
- Korean Dentist
- Korean Dramas
- Korean Driver's License
- Korean First Birthday Party
- Korean Folk Village
- Korean News
- Korean Wedding
- Lunar New Year
- Olympic Park
- Polymer Clay
- Seoul International Quilt Festival 2007
- Seoul Tower
- Squat Toilets
- Tae Kwon Do
- The Carol Duvall Show
- U.S. Beef
- War Museum of Korea