Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What Kind of Present to Bring to a Korean 1st Birthday Party



I left out an important concern when attending a Korean 1st birthday party which is the gift. Of course, being a crafty and polymer clay girl, I had to make the baby one of my polymer clay babies. The baby is holding a golden pig because Hye-In was born in the very lucky and rare year of the golden pig.

I had to ask my Korean girlfriends what was an appropriate gift along with the polymer clay baby. They told me that until recently, guests would bring a tiny gold ring for the baby. The parents would either cash the rings in for money right away or put them away to cash in later to help pay for college. But nowadays, money is what is predominately given and the amount is 50,000 won ($50.00 U.S.) or more. They also said that Koreans love to dress their children in Ralph Lauren which is very expensive here in South Korea.

3 comments:

Helena said...

That is so cute! Great idea. I like the mottling in the pink.

I was born in the year of the metal pig. When I was researching my Year of the Pig digi-scrap kit last year I found it was the year of the fire pig, but my friend Julie in Taiwan said they were calling it the gold pig there too. I really don't know what that's about. It cycles through the five elements (wood, metal, earth, fire, water) and the twelve animals for a sixty-year cycle, and there's no gold in there, but for some reason it was apparently the year of the gold pig. Beats me.

Helena said...

Well, okay, the metal could be gold. It's the same character. But it wasn't the metal pig year. So confusing.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Becky, your baby is so cute! I hope they liked her!

Blog Archive

Clustrmap