Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chilbo (Korean Enameling) Update

More wiring bending in chilbo. My teacher also introduced me to doing chilbo on ceramics. I love how it looks! The only difference comes in when it's ready for the kiln. Instead of having the kiln preheated to 760 degrees Celsium, the ceramic piece is put into a cold kiln and ramped up to 760 degrees and then the kiln is turned off to allow the piece to cool slowly. Otherwise if you put it into a preheated kiln, the piece would shatter. Fun, fun, fun!

4 comments:

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Becky, I love the hearts and flowers!

Becky said...

I'm wondering more and more if I can do this back in the States. I have a kiln (remember lampworking?) but her kiln has a hole in it where you can watch the chilbo cook and that's how you know when to take it out.

Megan Doerr said...

It's beautiful. I envy your talent and opportunity to experience Korean crafting.

Girl Who Can't Cook said...

So pretty! Loving all the pics of the chilbo! Keep 'em coming please ^___^

Blog Archive

Clustrmap