Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I found some Korean crafts!


This couple is made of a very rubbery and pliable clay
and are dressed in Korean costumes.

These bags came in a bunch of sizes and these are
about 6 inches by 3 inches. They each cost only 1000
won which is about $1.00 U.S.

Here is a close up of the Korean knotting. It is called
maeduep and is gorgeous. You can find it all over
Korea. It has over 30 knot variations. This is the
first craft I am hoping to learn. I found classes in
Seoul but I am hoping to find a teacher in Suwon.

My first Korean craft magazine. You
may think that they spelled craft wrong
but actually in the Korean language there
is no "F."

The bookstore at the Suwon Station has a pretty good selection of craft books. They have a wide selection: cross-stitch, quilling, folk art, beading, quilting, knitting and crocheting. I found quite a few "foot" art books so I pulled one out to see what that was. It turned out to be folk art books. They also had a huge selection of pattern making books to make your own clothes.

A few weeks ago while looking for information on Korea, I came across an request looking for foreigners who would like to appear on local television shows. I sent an email and they responded asking a lot of personal questions. I replied that we don't give out that information in the U.S. and I asked who he was. It turns out he works for a casting agency. I figured that was the end of that, but apparently I'm now added to his email list. I got this email from him yesterday:

Hi,
I have a TV extra job offer today.
The shootings will be on Thu, Fri and Sat.
I need 20 foreigners including 6 girls.
It will not take whole day for the scenes. So you don't have to come for all 3 days.
Just tell me the time you're available, and I'm gonna arrange the schedule so that many of you can have this opportunity.
e.g) I'm free on Thu from 1pm to 9pm.
The program is a history documentary on Korean history.
And it's about a guy who went to Fance to study.
It will be on KBS and the program title "Çѱ¹»çÀü"
The background if France, so they need white people.
Don't have to be french.
The payment will be around 50thousand KRW and can be more through negotiation.
This is urgent. So I prefer that you to text me to XXX-XXXX-XXXX or XXX-XXXX-XXXX with your available time range along with name, gender, age.
e.g) I'm free on Thu from 1pm to 9pm.
If you have friends, let them know about this thing so that they can experience a funny job.
Those who I contacted individually and who I'll do soon also reply to this message please.
Thank you very much and I hope I can hear from you soon.

My original inquiry was in regards to either teaching some crafts that I know on Korean television or learning Korean crafts. I think I will pass on this one.

We are moving tomorrow so I should get packing. I'll have a whole new world to discover once we move. I can't wait for the adventure to continue.

5 comments:

Helena said...

I got four little people like the ones in the top picture (fridge magnets--are yours?) One's head came off and I never could get it to stick back on. The other three are still on our fridge.

I was able to figure out how to do one pretty basic maeduep knot from some online instructions. I'd love to learn more!

Moving--is that with cranes? Exciting!

Unknown said...

This site is maddeningly intermittent, but you may find Craft About helpful, if you can catch it on a good day.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Good luck on your move.

The knotting is so pretty on those bags.

Helena said...

You know, words with an "F" sound in them are usually transliterated with a "P" in Korean. Which would be "Crapt." Probably not a good name for a magazine.

Becky said...

Yes, Helena, they are also magnets.
I am going to learn maeduep somehow. I can't wait.

Holly, maybe I'll know enough about those knots to teach you when I see you again!

Blog Archive

Clustrmap