Monday, October 8, 2007

The 8th HanSeong Backje Cultural Festival 2007


After maedeup class on Saturday, we went to the Olympic Park to visit our maedeup teacher who was demonstrating maedeup in the 8th HanSeong Backje Cultural Festival 2007.


The Peace Gate, which was designed by Kim Chung-up is 24 meters tall, 37 meters wide, and 62 meters deep.
The Olympic Flame. The Olympics were held in Seoul in 1988.


An ancient game being played by children. They throw the colored rectangles onto the mat, over and over again.


A Korean painter painting my last name in Korean.


He makes it look so easy.


Meverden in Korean. All for the cost of 2000 won (about $2 US).


Women weaving straw.


Straw shoes.



Another Korean art.


Children playing in clay. I was told that children don't have the opportunity to play in dirt or clay so this was recreated to give the children a sense of the past.


Local pottery.


Children creating their own pottery.


Local painters displayed their art.


We found a lot of street food but what we never did find was our maedeup teacher.

5 comments:

Helena said...

Cool! Lots of neat stuff. That would be fun to go to. That's funny that you never found your teacher.

Is there another syllable on the "Meverden" painting? It looks like it just says "me bo."

Helena said...

Whoa! There is more. The picture got wider!

Becky said...

Helena: I was having trouble with my template showing the entire picture, even though it did in Edit Mode so I just switched to another template. I'm still trying to get the kinks out. I want a column on the side. I hate computers!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Becky, Sounds like you are really enjoying your adventure. I took Leah Fairbanks' class this weekend. Will have to email you about that. And, would you believe, someone from your home town bought my last auction??? What a small world!

Hope you and Curt are well!

TA Carbone said...

I found your blog through Robin Beams as you left a comment there for her and I am so glad you did. I love your Blog, wow. I love Asian art and never seen a blog about Korea. Those items at the local pottery are "to die for" and your knots made at your maedeup class are beautiful. Wish I had that talent.

Toniann
http://carbonescorner.blogspot.com

Blog Archive

Clustrmap