Monday, February 25, 2008

It Took Me FIve Hours!



This is called Seokssl Maedeup and it really is combining Gajibangseok Maedeup (Eggplant Knot) with a bunch of Saengjjok Maedeup. Technically, the Gajibangseok Maedeup is a bunch of Saengjjok Maedeups. You just have to learn where to put them all. This knot took me the entire class to complete. We all had trouble with it so I wasn't the only one to take so long. We still had a little time before class ended and our teacher wanted us to start on a necklace incorporating this knot. We were all so tired we just sat there until class was finished. I was mentally and physically exhausted.




This maedeup is called Sebeolgamgae Maedeup and it took me all week just to complete all four of them. I knew they didn't turn out so well but I found out from my teacher that I had made them too tight. Yikes! So she made one for me as a sample and gave me more cording to complete them again. Luckily, we don't have class next Saturday due to a Holiday because I have soooo much maedeup homework.

When we arrived back in Suwon, Curt (hubby) and I decided to eat at the food court at Home Plus. We were eating our cheeseburgers sitting pretty close to the McDonald's counter when a group of about 6 teenage Korean girls came up to the counter. They kept turning around and smiling and giggling at us. We kept eating and I was watching them out of the corner of my eye. One of the girls got up the nerve and said, "Hi!" We said "Hi" back and then they were all saying "Hi." They were very excited that we had responded to them.

They ordered ice cream sundaes and sat near us. As we were eating, I kept feeling like we should go over and talk to the girls. This is not something I normally do! I love to talk to the Koreans but we always wait for them to approach us first. So I'm telling Curt that something is telling me that we should go over and talk to the girls. He was TOTALLY against it. So I told him that we are going to put our trash away in the container which would have us walk by the girls and that I was going to say something, with or without him.

So we got up and I walked over the the girls and said, "Do you speak English?" A table of six smiling girls yelled, "YES!" Well, that sure got the attention of the entire food court. I talked to them for a few minutes and you could just tell that they were thrilled. I finally said, "Bye, see you later." They said the same. But if you could have seen their eyes and expressions. It was one of the best things I have done since living in Korea and will be something I remember always.

So, listen to that little voice inside of you when it's speaking.

2 comments:

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Good work Becky! I think it looks amazing!

I'm so glad you spoke to those girls. I'm sure you made their day!

Becky said...

I'm having the time of my life! Who would have thought!

Blog Archive

Clustrmap