Saturday, September 6, 2008

Maedeup Post




I completed this purse babble in class a few weeks ago. It features seosski maedeup and is one of the hardest maedeup to learn according to my teacher and myself. I find the most difficult part of maedeup is not the knot creation but tightening. This is true is the case of the seosski maedeup.



Last week I learned how to make the maehwa (plum blossom) maedeup. It has become one of my favorites. My teacher has been increasing the homework so I find myself pulling it out of my purse if I'm lucky to get a seat early on the subway. My subway ride to maedeup class is about thirty minutes.

This last week I found a seat next to a couple of halmuhnees (Korean word for grandmother). I took out my homework and began to work. As they watched me, they remarked to each other and shook their heads at me. Finally, one tapped me on the shoulder and spoke some Korean. I told her that it was called maedeup. They both nodded their heads in agreement as they continued to watch. I soon had most of the subway passengers watching me work.

In my fractured Korean, I asked if they were grandmothers. They both nodded as one held up five fingers and the other seven. I pointed to myself and said, "halmuhnee." Neither would believe me. One of the things I'm trying to learn is "The Three Little Bears" which is a Korean song so I started with the main chorus and they were surprised I knew so much. One sang along and helped me with the parts I was fuzzy on as the other grandmother shook her head embarrassed that her friend was singing this children's song. All too soon their subway stop came and off they went with big smiles on their faces. I continued onto my stop with a smile and another great memory to add to my growing list.

2 comments:

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I guess grandmas always find something in common!

Love that plum knot.

Helena said...

That does look hard!

Love the subway ride story.

Blog Archive

Clustrmap