Sunday, August 5, 2007

Hey Mom! I Made Rice and Curry


My first batch of rice out of the rice cooker. It
was easy. I was told by a Korean gal to put the
amount of rice you want, then place your hand
over the rice and fill the rice cooker with water
up to your knuckles. Then I just pressed the
button and about 30 minutes later, PERFECT RICE!

So, of course, I had to make our family recipe of rice and curry. My grandparents were missionaries for The Salvation Army in India and my mother was born and spent her childhood in India. This recipe came from there and it is something I have eaten since I was a baby. My husband also loves it so he was accepted into the family with open arms. I was so happy how it turned out. It was delicious!
Here is the recipe:

Rice and Curry
1 frying chicken cut into pieces(I use 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts. It's up to you what you want to use)
2 heaping Tbsps. of shortening (Crisco)
1 medium onion, minced
2 heaping Tbsps. curry powder
1 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4-6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
1/2 c. milk
Juice of 1/2 lemon or 1 Tbsp. Real Lemon juice

1. Melt the shortening in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and curry powder until the onions are translucent. Put flour, salt and pepper into a ziplock bag and shake well to mix.
3. Add chicken and shake to coat. Add chicken to pot and brown lightly. Watch so the chicken doesn't stick to the pot.
4. Add about a quart of hot water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and let simmer for an hour.
5. Add potatoes, bring to a boil again until the potatoes are done, about 30 minutes.
6. Add lemon juice and milk. Stir and simmer a few minutes. Add additional salt to taste, if desired. I usually add 1-2 teaspoons.
7. Serve over cooked rice.
8. My mom would serve it with bananas as condiments. She also would add green tomatoes somewhere up above but I don't know where. I've never done that because I'm not a big fan of green tomatoes.

Enjoy! It also makes great leftovers.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Clustrmap