Thursday, August 2, 2007

Tragedy Back Home in Minnesota

A major bridge on 35W in Minneapolis collapsed into the Mississippi River during rush hour. This bridge is one I passed over at least once a week to babysit my grandson. I know how far down it is to the river. I just can't believe this has happened. I called my daughter and my son to make sure they were all right. I had a little trouble getting through, the lines were overloaded. They both had been getting phone calls from friends and family members. They were surprised we knew about it here in Korea. My husband was the one who told me about it. He checks the local news to see what's happening back home.

I've been on this highway during rush hour and it is packed with cars. In fact, unless my daughter has an emergency, we make to sure to plan around the rush hour. I hate to wait in traffic. The news said it was a 60 foot drop to the river but I sure thought it was more!

I guess this reaffirms in me to live each day to the fullest. No one is promised a tomorrow. My heart goes out to those who have lost a loved one today.

3 comments:

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Becky, So glad to hear the kids are all good. I was worried all day as soon as I heard about the bridge! Love your apt. pictures.

Becky said...

I know Holly. I am still in shock. I can't tell how many thousand of times we have been over that bridge. The Metrodome is right there too and we were glad there wasn't a Twins game going on at that time. Traffic would have been even worse. But I still worry about friends there. They say 50 cars or more went into the Mississippi.

June said...

Hey mom! There actually was a Twins game going on at the time which accounted for some of the traffic. Also, thankfully, some of the lanes were closed due to minor road construction. Had the bridge been full like normal rush hour, the devastation would have been much worse. I can't tell you how many times I have driven over that bridge. It was a few blocks from my first apartment.

Blog Archive

Clustrmap