Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kimchi Kourtship


If you've been a reader of my blog, you know that I've had some problems with my 72 year old yoga buddy in the past. He seemed to get the message that I wasn't in the market for another husband, Korean or not. But a few weeks ago, he called before yoga and said he was bringing over some mandu his wife had made for me. Being one to never refuse food, I said "sure" thinking I would pick it up after yoga class. He ended the conversation by saying he would drop it off at my apartment before yoga. Ooops.
He knew where my apartment building was because he and his wife have picked me up for several excursions. He showed up at my place at 9:30 am, a full half hour before I needed to leave for yoga. He had never been inside my apartment so I showed him around, put the mandu away and then we sat in my living room. He then asked me if a wanted a "massagee" (Korean for massage). I shook my head and said, "NO!" He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, can I have some coffee?" I made him a cup of instant and we watched TV until it was about 10 am and time to leave for yoga.
This week, he called on Monday to say he had some kimchi he wanted to drop off. I told him just to bring it to yoga but he said the kimchi would go bad if left out of the refrigerator for more than two hours. This had me wondering about all those kimchi pots I see outside and unrefrigerated. Anyway, I told him that the yoga studio had a little kitchen with a refrigerator and to bring it to yoga. He agreed.
I picked up the kimchi after yoga and it was about five pounds of kimchi! I couldn't believe how much he brought! Now I wonder what his wife is going to think when she finds some missing mandu and kimchi. By the way, my husband is not amused.

4 comments:

Lil said...

I marvel! Do these men actually think we WANT a massage and would say yes? Sometimes I think Koreans think we are all Desperate Housewives. After all~ that IS what they see on TV.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Becky, I say nip this in the bud! Tell him flat out that your husband does not allow men in the house when he's not home...it's just not "proper." He should get the message.

Sarah said...

I love hearing updates about this guy... so funny!

Manuela said...

*lauhgs* Funny story!
Sorry to intrude, but I enjoy reading about your life down there.

Blog Archive

Clustrmap